Grossly Inappropriate

A review of current events, culture, the arts, contemporary society, and anything else I can possibly get my hands on.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cambridge, MA

I'm a 22-year old registered Democrat and meat lover who has lots of angst against social injustices and (for now) too much time on his hands. I was born in Hong Kong, raised in California, and educated at Amherst College in Amherst, Massachusetts. I currently reside in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Diane Patrick

the Boston Globe Magazine published today an interview with the new First Lady of Massachusetts, Diane Patrick. I truly admire this woman, since she stood so steadfastly by her husband and kept her head while the incompetent Kerry Healey campaign lobbed negative ad after negative ad at Deval. what really comes through in the interview is Diane's keen sense of public duty while at the same time being dedicated to protecting her family. I especially appreciate her answer to the question about her daughters dealing with the election, since we hear so much about this "keep-my-family-out-0f-politics" type of tirade. Diane and Deval seem to recognize the campaign and the next four years as an incredible adventure and journey that carries with it the responsibility of being open and visible. to some degree, the First Family becomes a sort of role model (sometimes, as with the Bush twins, as much for what not to do as vice versa). I like her candor, and I like her thinking about success over the next four years as anything but a foregone conclusion.

I have a special fascination with these "supporting actors and actresses" that accompany major political figures into the spotlight. Diane mentions Daniel Mulhern, who is the First Gentleman to Michigan governor Jennifer Granholm, who developed a youth mentorship matching program. It's precisely because these roles are so undefined that they have so much possibility for doing good. I'm encouraged that Diane already has a head start on thinking about the needs of the Commonwealth from her background and work experience in education and labor. I do hope to see some innovative ideas of substance come from her office in the next few years. personally, I'd like to see someone take a more practical approach to the leakage of young adults and young professionals from Massachusetts. and how about using public art to engage youth in their communities and increase their investment in a safe and viable neighborhood?

good luck, gal. let me know if I can help.

read the interview here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home