Grossly Inappropriate

A review of current events, culture, the arts, contemporary society, and anything else I can possibly get my hands on.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cambridge, MA

I'm a 22-year old registered Democrat and meat lover who has lots of angst against social injustices and (for now) too much time on his hands. I was born in Hong Kong, raised in California, and educated at Amherst College in Amherst, Massachusetts. I currently reside in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Beginning of the End

If there's any candidacy I'm more virulently opposed to than Sam Brownback's, it's Mitt Romney's.

Alas, ending months of AGONIZING suspense, this lowlife has announced that he is jumping into the GOP field.

Of course, that's not really true. Romney's been planning his entry for a while (easily tracked by when he started saying nasty things about the Commonwealth of Massachusetts while being its governor). There was a Globe cartoon that I can't find now but that most succinctly described how disingenuous this man is as a leader: Mitt is at the podium on TV proclaiming something like "I will do for all Americans what I did for the people of Massachusetts." A man and a woman sit, unimpressed, watching his speech; one of them says: "What? You'll tell anti-American jokes?" Any level-headed CEO with that kind of attitude about the organization he or she is leading knows that publicly humiliating the employees and investors does nothing to motivate change but instead causes internal confusion, resentment, and anger. But Mitt was evidently uninterested in actually creating change. He was so disinvested in Massachusetts that he announced in Michigan, his supposed home state.

My friend Seth made a good point last November that Romney was sitting out the gubernatorial election in Massachusetts not because he wanted to concentrate his efforts on winning the presidency. He could have done both; many sitting governors have gone on to campaign for and win the presidency. No, Mitt was sitting out because he knew he would get trounced by Deval Patrick because the people of Massachusetts, spurned by Mitt time and again, have come to hate him almost as much as he hates them. Such a setback would have irrevocably hurt his presidential campaign. No one seems to be paying attention to that deft little trick, however, or the fact that under Mitt's leadership the Republican Governors Association lost its largest number of governor's offices for the first time in a long time. Again, way to pull through.

There is no critiquing Mitt's campaign style. He's a very well polished man, with years of PR experienced honed at Harvard's graduate schools, at Bain Capital, and as the public persona of the Salt Lake City Olympics. He's admittedly the most conventionally presidential-looking of everything vying for the White House from either party (with a full head of hair and a wholesome, blond wife). With this one, it's all about the substance, and I'm afraid the substance's pretty ugly.

One awkward stage moment at the announcement, though. I'm no marriage counselor, but I'm pretty sure Ann's trying to hug her husband with this kiss, while Mitt's body language seems stiff and reluctant. He treats his wife like he treats Massachusetts.

How will he treat America?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually got to watch a replay of his speech online..makes my skin crawl and I can't place my finger on why. Did he really have to point out his 35,000 person family 5 times? The thing is, I know he's the kind of candidate my grandparents will eat up and I have a feeling that's sort of his targeted demographic. Between the speech and the Ford factory, he was harkening back to the "perfect and safe" 1950's that never really existed in the first place.

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home